Let the games begin

Well I am currently sitting on my couch reflecting on my first day of grad school that happened this past Thursday. Of course I acted like such a freshman and got there at 9am when the class started at 9:30, so I sat by myself for a good amount of time. The only bad thing about Thursday-besides the fact I had to sit my ass in class all day-was the weather decided to unleash its wrath by being extremely humid and disgusting out. I left the house in my basic attire with my full face of makeup, and arrived at school looking like I walked out of the shower. I’m so glad that it is only summer term right now because that means less people to judge my abhorrent looks-and less frat boys to make fun of me!

The week building up to the first day of class was extremely hectic. On Wednesday we had a full day of orientation, where we sat and got information about the program, and did tours. We also had to participate in those get to know you activities and I swear I almost walked out. I am so bad with the whole ice breaker deal, I mean there was an actual campus scavenger hunt planned and as a cohort we all were like nah bro I’m sitting down and taking a nap. We all took a tour of the library, which let me point out has 6 floors and a brand new all glass reading room. I’m pretty positive my mouth was on the ground the entire time. My old college library only had 3 floors and like maybe 5 windows, so for this space to be so huge and bright was just a whole new mythical land. A fun fact that I learned was students actually reserve study spaces in the library for the entire semester, and I’m referring to those little desks-the library man called it a carol???. When I heard that I automatically thought of the movie Sydney White-shoutout to old school Amanda Bynes.  The highlight of orientation was by far the happy hour that was set up where we got free drinks and free food, but let me say that again-FREE ALCOHOL. There was also this really cute second year boy who was there to talk to all of us and I swear we had a love connection. I may or may not have tried to find him on Facebook, but anywhooooo. Orientation was from 9 to 6:30 so needless to say I was dead when I got home.

Thursday was another long day because it was the first day of classes and I wouldn’t get home until 7pm. It was ROUGH man. In undergrad my longest class was maybe 2 hours and that was because I took a night class to avoid all responsibilities on Fridays. In grad school all my damm classes are 3 hours long, and I honestly do not understand how I will survive that torment. I can not pay attention for that long, I don’t even watch 3 hour movies. The professors weren’t playing either because they kept us the whole freakin time, I mean usually we go over the syllabus and then say peace but nope I sat there on my computer online shopping for a good 2 hours. The first two classes went pretty well, but by the last class I was checking the clock every 5 seconds. Let me tell you it is hard to focus for the entire day.

After this week life will only get even tougher because I start my 8 to 4 internship on Monday, where I go three days a week and then class 2 days a week. I am going to die this summer and will not have a life or proper amount of sleep. This new chapter is extremely daunting and nerve racking, but in the end it will be worth it. Wish me luck as I try to survive my life as a post-grad!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s